What expenses can be claimed on the sale of shares when income is classified as capital gains?

Expenses that are wholly and exclusively incurred in relation to the sale/ transfer of shares are allowed to be deducted from sales income classified under the capital gains income head. 
  • Expenses such as brokerage charges, stamp duty, exchange levy, etc., can be claimed as expenses on your Income Tax Returns (ITR).
  • However, Securities Transaction Tax (STT) and Annual Maintenance Charge AMC) for your demat account cannot be claimed as deductibles.

Still need help? Create Ticket